Thursday, August 27, 2015

I am the Tortoise

I've been walking the dogs a lot lately.   Every other day or so, I get up early and start, taking them one at a time around the neighborhood for about a half hour each.  3 dogs = 1.5 hours of walking.  Some days, like today, I can't seem to get it together afterwards to speedily get to work.  That's why I do it on days when I know I don't have meetings or conference calls to worry about.  Today, I'm taking a half day of annual because it's taking me a while to cool down.

This morning, I needed to jog a little to get out of the way of a car backing out of its driveway.  It occurred to me that I don't leave the ground easily anymore.  There's an uncomfortable heaving and bouncing and thudding that happens when I have to move quickly like that. 

I like to walk.  One foot in front of the other, plodding away the steps and the time in a regular, steady fashion.  I don't bounce, but I do move.  By the time I finish the first half-hour lap, I'm sweating and the dog is panting.  Switch to a new dog and we start over again.  When I get home from that lap, I'm breathing pretty hard and my clothes are clinging to me.
As I finish the final lap with the third dog, they're all grinning like maniacs and I suspect I might be too, since the end is finally here.  I am dripping with sweat and radiating heat.  A shower at this point would be useless, as I'd still be sweating when I got out.  So I allow myself to cool down - drink a lot of water, maybe check email and facebook.  And when I'm finally no longer actively sweating, I shower and head for work.

I don't like exercise.  I really don't.  It's hot and messy and uncomfortable - but I'm doing it.  I can't see any results yet, but I can feel them.  I'm a little happier.  A little more productive.  I'm eating better and choosing my food more wisely.  I take my vitamins and supplements and keep track of my blood sugar and all of these things are pointing to a healthier me. 

I wish I were a hare - quick results with little effort...  but I'm not.  I have to try.  Hard.  And it takes me a long, long time to get anywhere.  But I will get there.  Maybe not in a year, but I'll be well on my way by then because I STARTED now.  I'll get there and I WILL win this race to get my health back.

I am the Tortoise. 

The Tortoise and the Hare
an Aesop Fable  (from StoryIt.com)


        One day a hare was bragging about how fast he could run. He bragged and bragged and even laughed at the tortoise, who was so slow. The tortoise stretched out his long neck and challenged the hare to a race, which, of course, made the hare laugh. 

      "My, my, what a joke!" thought the hare.


     "A race, indeed, a race. Oh! what fun! My, my! a race, of course, Mr. Tortoise, we shall race!" said the hare.

 
     The forest animals met and mapped out the course. The race begun, and the hare, being such a swift runner, soon left the tortoise far behind. About halfway through the course, it occurred to the hare that he had plenty of time to beat the slow trodden tortoise.

 
       "Oh, my!" thought the hare, "I have plenty of time to play in the meadow here."


     And so he did.

 
     After the hare finished playing, he decided that he had time to take a little nap.


     "I have plenty of time to beat that tortoise," he thought. And he cuddle up against a tree and dozed.

 
     The tortoise, in the meantime, continued to plod on, albeit, it ever so slowly. He never stopped, but took one good step after another.


 
    The hare finally woke from his nap. "Time to get going," he thought. And off he went faster than he had ever run before! He dashed as quickly as anyone ever could up to the finish line, where he met the tortoise, who was patiently awaiting his arrival.



The moral of the story?  Slow and steady wins the race.

2 comments:

SwampAngel65 said...

Slow and steady...you're going to win this one!

Ann Ward said...

You're doing it and that's what counts. My mother always said it took longer than a month to get (insert whatever phrase you want here) and it will take longer than a month to undo it. But you nailed it - slow and steady will win the race!